The Fourth Time Around!

See Hyphenated's writeup, below.

The Third Time Around!

See yclept's writeup, below.

The Second Time Around

The second afghan contained squares from gwenllian, shimmer, yclept, Melannen, metal rozsa, nocte, Chattering Magpie, and trybonun, plus the ones I've made myself, and you can see pictures of it at http://www.segnbora.com/afghan.html. The raffle for it earned $310 (that's 62 tickets) And finally (15 January 2004) I got a couple of noders together (tregoweth, Sylvar, turtlebat and myself) and asked who wanted to actually do the drawing. turtlebat volunteered. I had already shaken up the bag of 62 pieces of folded lavender notepaper with names on them; she shook it some more, untied the handles and drew the name: Yonder!

Project Overview: The very cool yclept got me enthusiastic about doing this again, with some more publicity to get more contributors and more raffle-ticket buyers. (If you missed the first time, its details are still at the bottom of this writeup.) The basic idea is for E2's knitters and crocheters to make 7-inch squares that will be put together into an afghan blanket and raffled off to make money for E2's operating costs, without the making of the afghan having drained the coffers of any of us crafters. After all, a square could be made with leftover yarn from previous projects (or could provide a reason to buy that single skein in the clearance bin that didn't seem like enough to do anything with).

This time, though, we're doing a theme afghan, instead of the completely random squares of the previous one. The theme yclept came up with is to put a "C!" on every square. You can do that however you want or are able -- different colors in the actual making of the square, duplicate stitching on top of the already-made square, or any other way you like. And we also have an e2craft usergroup now for idea discussion. What we're looking for are squares 7 inches on a side, made of yarn that can be washed easily, but any color or gauge. jasonm said last time: "you might want to stress pre-shrunk yarn for this; otherwise it's not going to last long =)."

You can make just one, or however many you feel like. A few very basic patterns for plain squares are available online from the Warm Up America project, but any knit, crochet, or whatever other type of yarn work is fine as long as it produces 7-inch squares. (The patterns found below all say "continue until work measures 9 inches" because their project used 7" by 9" rectangles; if you use those instructions, just stop two inches earlier.)

  • http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/warmup.html
  • http://www.michaels.com/online/departments/holiday/ knit/warmup/theme_article_basic_knit.htm
  • http://knitting.about.com and http://crochet.about.com for techniques and ideas.
Inspired by a brochure for the the "Warm Up America" project of the Craft Yarn Council of America, in which different people knit or crochet sections which are joined together to make afghans (that's a blanket, for those of you to whom an Afghan is a Central Asian or a dog) and donated to charitable organizations.

The First Time!

January 2003: The afghan is finished, with contributions from Chattering Magpie, liontamer, ailie, Lometa, Bitca, nocte, shimmer and knifegirl, plus my own. A picture is available at http://www.segnbora.com/afghan.html.

26 tickets were sold, at $5 per ticket, raising $130 for the Donation Box. The drawing was held during the Nothing Says Softcore Like Florida In January: A Surrealistic Florida Adventure gathering, after dinner at Circles, where Anml4ixoye, Gamaliel, panamaus, No Springs, tregoweth and Billy watched as I drew a name from the bag. And the winner was: Yonder!