Glam/heavy metal band from Finland who, while never very famous in the U.S., influenced a lot of American musicians such as Guns n' Roses. Founded in 1980 by singer Michael Monroe (Matti Fagerholm) and guitarist Andy McCoy (Antti Hulkko), the band included guitarist Nasty Suicide (Jan Stenfors), bassist Sam Yaffa (Saki Takamäki) and at first drummer Gyp Casino (Jesper Sporre). They released Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks, in 1981, and then went to London to promote themselves and record Oriental Beat. There Casino was fired and Razzle (Nicholas Dingley) was hired.

Their third album, Two Steps from the Move produced a UK charting single with the cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival's "Up Around the Bend," which got some attention in the US as well. Unfortately, on their first US tour, Razzle was killed in a car accident, riding as a passenger while Motley Crue's Vince Neil was driving drunk. They hired a new drummer, Terry Chimes, but really didn't have the heart to go on. First Monroe quit and then the band broke up in May 1985.

Addition 2004: Vuo was nice enough to tell me that 'Hanoi Rocks is releasing new albums again... though, only Monroe and McCoy are the original, AFAIK. "Twelve Shots on the Rocks" is better than the old ones. McCoy has also presented himself in a "reality tv" show like The Osbournes. The obvious problem is that McCoy has only a wife, not a family like Ozzy.' I checked hanoirocks.com and the new lineup is Monroe singing, McCoy on guitar, "Timpa" on bass, and "Lacu" on drums.

Sources:
www.hanoirocks.com
www.allmusic.com