During the 1920s and 30s, Amelia Earhart was on of the most famous women in the world. She was one of very few woman pilots and broke many records.

She flew higher than any other woman and was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. In 1937 Amelia Earhart decided to attempt another great feat of aviation. She was going to fly around the world. Taking with her the experienced navigator Fred Noonan, she set off from California on 20 May, 1937. By 2 July, Amelia had flown across Africa, India, and Indonesia. Then she set off across the Pacific. The first leg of the trip was from New Guinea to Howland Island.

Earhart and Noonan took off at 10 am and expected to reach Howland some seventeen hours later. They never arrived. A few radio messages were heard asking for a radio fix, but static was so bad it was impossible to get a bearing. A massive search was launched with naval ships and local boats taking part, but no trace of Amelia Earhart, Fred Noonan or their plane was ever found. It is presumed that something went wrong with their navigational equipment and they crashed into the sea.


Of course, there's always the possibility that Star Trek is right. Amelia could have been transported across the galaxy by another lifeform.