Um, I will now humbly suggest a standard for noding lyrics. This standard has nothing to do with actual node style or formatting of the lyrics. This standard is to prevent unorganized and impossible to search for node titles. The standard would also provide for easy navigation within an artist and album. And remember, oh violent noders, this is only a suggestion. I can only hope it takes off. I am very confident in the way I node lyrics.
In no particular order, here are my guidelines:
- Don't namespace your lyrics! Node titles should be tiered, but not with colons. In fact, scrap the whole colon idea. It's horrible, no matter how you do it. It's most often shitty for searching, and always looks bad. It's this simple:
- Artist Name. This usually will have a discography.
- Album Title. Linked from the discography, with song titles.
- Song Title. Here is the node you want the lyrics in. Whether or not the lyrics make a big ugly mess within that node is inconsequential. This is their place.
- Song lyrics should be official. This means either from a CD cover or an official site, or as close as you can get. If this means typing in a CD book worth of lyrics, do it. If you don't want to, maybe you should reconsider (like I really needed to type out all of Frizzle Fry by Primus).
- If there is nothing in the artist name node, add a short description of the band, including style (genre if you prefer) and maybe a personal opinion. "This band kicks ass" is not proper, nor is it useful.
- The same goes for album titles. If you want, give a short description of the album. List any album information you feel is pertinent, like the year of release. A track listing is nice if you're noding the lyrics, and makes for easy navigation from song to song and album to album. Organization is key.
- Be creative with the actual noding of the lyrics. If certain lyrics just scream "align="center"" to you, center align them. For example, the Fear Factory lyrics I have noded have been right justified because that was how I found them on their site. Making it organized does not mean making it lifeless.
- Hard link those bastards! Make it interesting. Make it fun.
I feel a bit arrogant
noding this, but I feel that it will help the lyrics noding situation
. Note that I provide this merely as a suggestion
, and that I especially
don't expect you to go back and change the 30 albums you've noded so far. If you agree, simply keep it in mind for the future
. If you really agree, go back and change your shit
. I'm suggesting this solely in confidence of my own style
, so I should hard link
some examples. See Incubus
, Fear Factory
, and Primus
my lyrics noding style
. Thanks for listening...
* Sarcasmo humbly bow
s at your feet