DUNE (1984)

Directed by
David Lynch

Writing credits
Frank Herbert
David Lynch


Cast overview:
Francesca Annis .... Lady Jessica
Leonardo Cimino .... The Baron's Doctor
Brad Dourif .... Piter De Vries
José Ferrer .... Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV
Linda Hunt .... Shadout Mapes
Freddie Jones .... Thufir Hawat
Richard Jordan .... Duncan Idaho
Kyle MacLachlan .... Paul Atreides
Virginia Madsen .... Princess Irulan
Silvana Mangano .... Reverend Mother Ramallo
Everett McGill .... Stilgar
Kenneth McMillan .... Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
Jack Nance .... Nefud
Siân Phillips .... Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Jürgen Prochnow .... Duke Leto Atreides


Runtime: 137 / USA:190 (special edition)

Soundtrack:
Written, composed, and performed by TOTO. Prophecy Theme by Brian Eno, Daniel Lanois, and Roger Eno. All selections produced by TOTO except Prophesy Theme by Brian Eno.

1. Prologue 1:47
2. Main Title 1:55
3. Robot Fight 1:18
4. Leto's Theme 1:43
5. The Box 2:37
6. The Floating Fat Man (The Baron) 1:24
7. Trip to Arrakis 2:35
8. First Attack 2:43
9. Prophecy Theme 4:19
10. Dune (Desert Theme) 5:30
11. Paul Meets Chani 3:04
12. Prelude (Take my Hand) 0:59
13. Paul Takes the Water of Life 2:48
14. Big Battle 3:06
15. Paul Kills Feyd 1:51
16. Final Dream 1:25
17. Take My Hand 2:35


PLOT:
"I see two Great Houses -- House Atreides, House Harkonnen -- feuding... I see you behind it." - A Third Stage Guild Navigator to Padishah Emperor Shaddam IV.

The planet Arrakis, also known as Dune, an inhospitable desert world and is also the only source of the rare spice, melange, that allows for the folding of time, which is a necessity for interstellar space travel. The Spacing Guild, the ancient and mutated navigators who control all space travel, suspect that there may be a plot developing to halt spice production while the Emperor feels that the noble House Atreides is becoming too powerful with their new 'weapons'.

When a third stage Navigator from the Spacing Guild meets with the Emperor, a solution seems to be forthcoming for the Emperor. Remove House Harkonnen from Dune, and replace with House Atreides, all the while plotting with House Harkonnen for a final takeover and the annihilation of House Atreides.

The Bene Gesserit Women do not wish this to be, as in House Atreides is one of the tools of their political and religious breeding program.

House Harkonnen is not completely successful and one member of House Atreides survives, and lives among the local fremen (desert people, who are vastly underestimated by House Harkonnen).

Paul takes on the name Paul Muad'dib, and becomes the religious leader of the vast fighting force of the fremen also the final goal of what the Bene Gesserit breeding program was looking for, a little before his time, and out of their control.

In a final confrontation between the Emperor, House Harkonnen and Paul Maud'dib, Paul gains control of planet Arrakis.


My Opinion:
Despite the movie straying from the way the book tells the story, it still gets the basic story across. You become familiar enough with the characters, the story, also the politics aren't gone into as deeply as they are in the book which is both a relief and a loss. Unfortunately, I felt that the movie was too 'hurried along' the pace to fast, the ending too abrupt. Yet somehow I still came away from watching the movie for the first time, too young to even remember how old I was, with a good impression, and the second I again came off with an overall positive feeling about the movie, but this time I noticed its downfalls.

Worth the watch if you liked the books, but be prepared to witness it jump to the ending in leaps and bounds, and make unexpected bridges to cover the plot holes they got through cutting the book down into a short movie.

"When I first read the script I was disappointed. I came in saying, "I want Dune." It took me a little time to get used to the differences. I finally said, "It's not going to be Dune by Frank Herbert. It's going to be Dune by Frank Herbert, adapted by David Lynch, put on film and conveyed by actors." - Kyle MacLachlan (Paul Atreides).
I got the cast list from the video, and the soundtrack listing from the CD (both of which I should give my dad credit for).