Star Trek The Next Generation
Episode: 54
Season: 3
First aired in: 1989
Stardate: 43205.6

The Enterprise investigates a derelict warship and becomes caught in an ancient booby trap.

Detailed synopsis:
The episode starts off with Geordi LaForge and Christy on the holodeck in a romantic tropical beach program. Data and Wesley play 3D chess in Ten Forward when Geordi comes in, very disappointed, because his date didn't work out.

The Enterprise-D arrives at what ones was Orelious 9, they find a Promellian battlecruiser inside the asteroid field, which is almost in perfect condition. Picard is very excited because he used to build a model of this ship when he was a child. No senior officer understands his fasination. Riker never build models when he was a boy, Worf didn't have toys and Data was never a boy. Only O'Brien used to build models when he was a child.

Picard personnaly leeds an away-team to the cruiser and is even more baffled by the simplicity and efficienty of the ship's design. The crew died at their posts and they find a recording from the captain, Galek Sar, praising his crew and taking the blame for their faith.

On the Enterprise-D Wesley registers weird energy reading and runs a diagnostic. Geordi talks with Guinan about why he failed with Christi Henshaw. Guinan tells him he tries too hard to make it work which makes him nervous.

When the away team is back and the ship is about to leave they are bombarded with lethal radiation, and they won't move. Geordi doesn't know why they don't move, but he detects an rapid energy loss, which will deplete their resources in 3 hours.

At a meeting in the conference room Data doesn't know a situation similar to this one. Riker goes back to the alien ship to find out what is happening and Geordi is working on a solution. He does this by going back to the early design stage of the Galaxy-class proto-type. Where he comes across Leah Brahms, who designed most of the warp drive. He runs a program she wrote to help him find a solution. But he needs to "get in" the dilitium chamber to work something out. So he calls up a holodeck program of the design lab where the warp drive was designed. After asking the Leah Brahms audio program to show him something the computer creates a replica or her. Geordi adds some personality and together they start working on the problem.

Guest stars:
Colm Meaney as Miles O'Brien
Susan Gibney as Leah Brahms
Whoopi Goldberg as Guinan
Albert Hall as Galek Dar
Julie Warner as Christi Henshaw

Go to Season 3

Go to Episodes