I offer my own alternativerecipe, sprung fully from my head while making turkey dinner with my friends before finals.

Ingredients

(The ingredients are fairly variable, but it is suggested that you leave in at least the potatos, the milk, the sugar, the salt, and the bourbon. All of these help to release the flavor of the potato.)

2 fair sized sweet potatos

1 can condensed milk

1/4 cup Brown Sugar

1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg

1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

3-6 ground cloves

Varying small amounts of:
Molasses
Honey
Maple Syrup
Salt

And last but by no means least:

1 or 2 shots of bourbon (i use old granddad because it's got a sweet potato pie friendliness to it)


Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into moderately sized pieces. Place these pieces in a good sized pot and fill the pot with water until the potatoes are covered. Leave the pot on the stove, at high heat, for an hour or two -- or until the potatoes are soft and squish between your fingers. If you're going to use a blender to make the filling, you may want to leave the potatoes in a little longer.

Strain the water out of the potatoes and add the now mushy potatoes to the can of condensed milk. You may do this either in a large bowl or in a blender. If you are using a large bowl, you will need to mash the ingredients together with a potato masher. If you're using a blender set aside a few pieces of potato from your blending. This will tax the blender less and will add texture when you mix these pieces in after the blending.

As the milk and potato mix together, add the other ingredients, one at a time tasting as you go to tailor it to your preferences. If you used a blender, pour the mixture into a mixing bowl and add the set aside pieces of potato as well. Mix together with a potato masher or large fork to break the potato up into the mixture.

Line a 9" pie plate with the piecrust of your choice. I still use storebought because i live in fear of a bad crust but you're welcome to branch out. After lining, you're ready to pour your filling into the piecrust. All that remains is to bake.

Put the pie in the oven at 375 F. Let cool for about half an hour. Enjoy your pie.