Tortola - "Nature's Little Secrets"

Tortola is one of the British Virgin Islands, a group of small islands 60 miles east off the coast of Puerto Rico. Tortola is within sailing distance of Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Jost Van Dyke and is neighbour to the American Virgin Islands.

Tortola Facts

Main Town: Road Town
Population: 18,700 plus
Size: 12 Miles x 3 Miles
Time Zone: Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -4 hours
Highest Point: Sage Mountain National Park, 1780 feet.

The name Tortola is Spanish and means 'Turtle Dove'. A plane boarded in San Juan, Puerto Rico, will take you to Beef Island airport which is joined to Tortola by the Queen Elizabeth Bridge. Road Town is located on the south of the island and houses the shops, banks, administration buildings, the hospital and Government House. Hotel accommodation in Tortola is widely available, as is beach camping for those with an outdoor persuasion (beware of the sand-flies), up to five-star apartments (Tortola sees many rich yachtsmen).

The majority of beaches are located on the north side, a fairly cheap (~$6 per person) taxi ride over the hill from Road Town. Long Bay, Cane Garden Bay and Josiah's Bay are all excellent beaches to visit. The Baths, located on the nearby Virgin Gorda (return trip ferries run most days) is a beach covered in huge natural boulders, providing many interesting caves and places to explore.

As well as unrivalled beaches, Tortola also has a large sailing community, an active music scene, many fine restaurants/bars and small clubs, which will often stay open through the night. The first time traveller to Tortola will find it a warm and inviting place, with a friendly fun-loving atmosphere. You're guaranteed to meet friendly people from all over the world in the local bar, as well as the ever-welcoming locals. Make sure to coincide your visit to Tortola with a full moon and visit the infamous Bomba Shack (located at Apple Bay) for a night you'll never forget...

Further information, see:

  • http://www.bombashack.org
  • http://www.bviwelcome.com/