Once again, an attempt to downgrade technology is actually misdirected, as it's the use of the technology here, as in just about everywhere else, that is the culprit. The problems here aren't caused by technology, they're caused by how they're used.

The whole deal with Monsanto, and Roundup, and the GMO seeds is the incessant greed and amorality of capitalism, which uses as it's only guide financial motives. If the people affected by the heavy pesticide spraying were able to sue for large dollar amounts, they Monsanto might have to rethink their strategy. Similarly, instead of them suing the farmer, the farmer should be able to sue Monsanto. Use financial penalties as part of the way to shape the environment the company operates in.

But technology IS a possible remedy of the problems caused. Perhaps if you look at it as the bad choice of implementation of unfinished technology, it will become clearer. That the existence of those problems means they weren't done with their work.

The only reason a company would develop a product, or a system, that has such negative side effects is because they're not required, or expected to, solve those problems.

Take the automobile for example. For a while, the emissions weren't really important. And thus, cars were heavily polluting. Then, thanks to federal regulation, it became part of the system that had to be taken into account. Now, they're less polluting than a gasoline-driven lawnmower. And it's taken technology to help solve those problems.

Technology is a remedy, if you give them a motive to use it.