Few people actually know how they (US Government) come up with our social security numbers. I did a little looking on line and found this out from sites all over.

The first three digits are the area numbers. These digits originally indicated the state where you applied for your first card. Now it is derived from the ZIP code in the mailing address on your application for a card. The first three digits of a valid number cannot begin with "000" or any number between "769 and 999". Likewise, the first three numbers cannot be all 1's, 3's, 8's or 9's.

The middle two digits are the group numbers. They have no special geographic or data significance but merely serve to break the number into conveniently sized blocks for orderly issuance.

The last four digits are the serial numbers. They represent a straight numerical sequence of numbers within the group.

It should also be noted that numbers assigned to alien taxpayers start with a "9" and are not valid numbers for securing work in the United States. In fact, the "9" indicates the person is not eligible for employment and hiring someone with one of these numbers can result in a fine for the employer.

Check out www.ssa.gov for more info