Shinya Tsukamoto was born in Shibuya, Tokyo on January 1st, 1960. At a young age he was inspired to make his own films after watching a popular Ultraman precursor, Ultra-Q. While attending Nihon University Tsukamoto started a small acting troupe and directed/starred in some student films. After college, he worked for a "real" film studio for 4 years, until he resigned and started his own "Phantom Theater."

In 1989 Tsukamoto produced/directed/starred in Tetsuo: The Iron Man. The film's gritty techno-fetishism would become his trademark, and make him an international independent film star. His almost break-neck approach to film making captured audiences, but when his first mainstream movie, Hiruko - Yokai Hunter was released, it met with mixed criticism. Afterwards Shinya returned to his roots with Tetsuo II: Body Hammer. A full color steroid pumped sequel to the film that made him famous, Body Hammer was again stirring interest in Tsukamoto's work.

In 1995, Tokyo Fist was released. It had nothing to do with technology, or the bio-metal that captured Tsukamoto's normal audience. Tokyo Fist tells the story of the breaking point of the human psyche, and the fragility of modern relationships. Tuskamoto's trademark straight shooting style is still evident here, despite the lack of his trademark shock elements. The human mind can prove to be just as frightening as any mass of metallic flesh. Despite all his success in Japan, Tsukamoto still aspires to move to Hollywood and bring his unique style directly to the American Market.

Filmography

1974-79
Genshi-san
Tsubasa
Jigokucho Shoben
Geshuku Nite Tondayo

1986
Futsu Saizu No Kaijin

1987
Denchu-Kozo No Boken

1989
Tetsuo: The Iron Man

1991
Hiruko - Yokai Hunter

1992
Tetsuo II: Body Hammer

1993
Tetsuo II: Body Hammer Super Remix Version

1995
Tokyo Fist

1998
Bullet Ballet

1999
Gemini

2002
Snake of June

2004
Vital

Tetsuo: The Iron Man has been released domestically by Fox Lorber/Image; Tetsuo II: Body Hammer and Tokyo Fist have been released by Manga Entertainment.
Filmography and some info from http://www.atom.co.jp/classic/UNSOUND/Actual/Unsound/UnpopOffice/Artists/Tsukamoto/