A traditional compliment to turkey, this wonderful apple stuffing goes equally well with pork.

    • 4 to 6 medium sized apples, sliced or chopped. Experiment with different types, reds seem to work best.
    • 10 to 15 slices of bread cubed and dried, or 6 cups of croutons
    • 3 tablespoons of butter
    • 2 Medium sized onions chopped or diced. If you can get them use Vidalia Onions.
    • 4 stalks of celery, chopped.
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon of sage
    • 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg
    • 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
    • 2 to 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, minced
    • 3 to 6 leaves of fresh basil, minced
    • Olive Oil
    • 2 cups of chicken stock, or one can of Campbells's chicken stock
    • dash of salt
    • 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper, or to taste
    • chopped walnuts (optional, personally I don't care for them)
    • 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese (optional)
  • Heat a sauce pan over medium high heat. Melt one tablespoon of the butter with about two tablespoons of olive oil in the pan.
  • Add the onions, celery and apples to the pan and saute until the onions start to clear.
  • While the veggies are cooking place the bread crumbs into a large mixing bowl and toss with dry ingredients.
  • When the veggies are done add them to the mixing bowl.
  • Melt the two remaing tablespoons of butter and add them to the mixing bowl, along with the chicken stock.
  • Mix with sturdy spoon, until bread and apples are evenly coated. If the mixture is too dry add olive oil as needed. Do Not mix by hand. The veggies will be quite warm still.
  • If preparing with turkey, stuff cavity no more than 1/2 to 3/4 full, this allows the mixture to expand and cook evenly.
  • Stuffing can also be baked alone in a covered casserole dish. Place on middle rack of a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes to an hour.
  • 4 to 5 minutes before completion, remove cover and sprinkle with Asiago cheese.