I never particularly liked pop music either, falling into an eclectic mix of rock that ranged all the way from Enigma and Billy Joel to Metallica.  Some of my friends listen to classical music on occasion, but I just never really "got" it.

After seeing The Rock, I loved the instrumental soundtrack (Hans Zimmer is an evil genius) so much that I went out and bought it pretty much on the way home.  Ditto for Crimson Tide a little later.  For some reason, though, I never really made any sort of connection between that and the classics until people who walked into my room while I was playing a track from one of them started asking if it was Beethoven or Mozart.

Finally, I was watching a special interview with Billy Joel on PBS a few nights ago.   Joel was mentioning how much he was influenced by classical music, and they played a clip of a Bach piece that had a theme very similar to one of his rock n' roll songs.  What really struck me was the fact that I liked the Bach piece more than I liked the Billy Joel song.

So, I broke down last night and started downloading some Bach mp3s from Napster.

Surprise, surprise...I really like it.

Whether I always liked it and just never discovered it, or, whether I just wasn't mature enough to appreciate it until now...I may never know.