at the site
. When Jacques Cartier
visited the mouth of the St Lawrence River
in 1535, he found nearly a dozen villages
between Hochelaga and Stadacona
) inhabited by a Huron
peoples. Hochelaga remained to Cartier
's second visit in 1641-1642, and was at that time a fortified
village with a population
of 3000, surrounded by corn fields
When the French returned in 1603, with Samuel de Champlain, the Iroquoian people had been replaced by Algonquin and Montagnais settlers, probably due to attacks on the Huron by Algonquin and Iroquois.
Hochelaga was settled by the French in 1642 by a mix of religious and secular colonists led by Paul de Chomedey, Sieur de Maisonneuve. He founded the Ville Marie de Mont Réal (the town of Mary of the Royal Mountain).
Sources: http://www.dickshovel.com, The Columbia Encyclopedia