As noted in the original node, ceramic handguns are a myth. Ceramic technology has come a long way in recent years, particularly with ceramic knives. Ceramic technology has not yet produced an all-ceramic gun, but the idea persists, driven by anti-gun politicians and sensationalist media.

When Glock handguns were first imported into the United States, the aforementioned scaremongers had a field day with the concept of a "plastic gun" and how it might be used to slip past airport security checkpoints. They ignored the fact that only the frame of the Glock is polymer and there is still more than enough metal in all of their guns to set off even the weakest metal detector. Furthermore, there is enough metal in even a single round of 9mm ammunition to set one off.

Some speculated that the metal parts of the handgun could be fashioned from ceramics instead, thus creating a "stealth gun". Around this time, anti-gun California Senator Barbara Boxer proposed legislation banning possession of any handgun which melted when subjected to 800 degree fahrenheit heat.

To feed the ignorance frenzy, Bruce Willis's character in the movie "Die Hard" thwarted some terrorists at the beginning of the movie and discovered one of them was carrying a "Glock 7" (which was actually a Glock 17, there is no Glock 7). The Glock 7 was supposedly a "ceramic gun" and was the terrorist weapon-of-choice for avoiding airport security checkpoints and hijacking planes.

Incidentally, the movie "Die Hard" is believed to be the first studio movie ever to feature a Glock.