After several years of research and development, scientists have developed an operational Hoverboard. The unit is much bigger and operates much like a high performance hovercraft. Its actually more like a hovering surfboard than a skateboard, but the size is necessary in order to successfully carry the weight of a 225lb rider.
It hovers about 3 inches above the ground. The flexible skirt is used to help trap, moving air under the craft and drastically increases efficiency. There is a slight gap between the skirt and the surface being ridden over. The craft hovers best over smooth flat surfaces. It works well on virtually any type of surface.

The unit is propelled by a duct assembly, which directs thrust to the rear for propulsion. Steering is accomplished by 2 small rudders mounted inside the rear duct. The directional thrust is capable of pushing the Hoverboard forward at up to 30 mph. An electronic hand controller is linked to the Hoverboard by a small cable. By pushing buttons on the controller, the operator can make the board turn left and right, vary engine speed and stop the engine. In the event that the rider jumps off the board, the hand controller will simply unplug from the cable. This is a safety device, which automatically causes the engine to shut down, and the Hoverboard to stop. This prevents the Hoverboard from continuing off on its own.
The unit is made of fibreglass and welded polyethylene plastic for lightweight and durability. Skateboard grip tape is mounted on the top of the Hoverboard to prevent the rider from slipping while riding.

With thanks to gadgetmaster.com