Dyspraxia is a neurological condition that affects parts of the body that require fine, discreet motor control in order to work properly. It happens because the part of the brain that transmits the movement information to the body is underdeveloped.

It is more common among children than adults, notably males, and because of the nature of the condition it was sometimes nicknamed "Clumsy Child Syndrome". It is also known as Developmental Coordination Disorder (DCD), Perceptuo-motor Dysfunction, Minimal Brain Dysfunction, Motor Learning Difficulty.

Symptoms of the disorder include bad coordination, ie. skill in activities where good balance, running, jumping, throwing or catching is involved. Others include bad or childish looking writing, anxiety, paranoia and the most obvious of all symptoms, impeded speech.

One of the main speech impediment disorders is Developmental Verbal Dyspraxia or DVD for short. This is when the brain is telling the mouth to say something but the mouth doesn't fully understand the signal. It does not really affect everyday speech such as "Yes", "No", "Please", "Thank you". More, it hampers the progress of the child when he/she is trying to say something particular or subjective. It can take many attempts before a sentence is pronounced properly, and therefore can be a great strain on a parent or teacher.

The word Dyspraxia is derived from the Greek negative prefix dys and the Greek word praxia, 'action'.

The adjective of Dyspraxia is dyspraxic.