My friend's father and I recently noted that nearly the entire cast of DS9 is, in some way, alienated or exiled from their own people. To wit:

  • Elim Garak - Disgraced Cardassian operative living in exile as a tailor on DS9.
  • Worf - Confused dual role as Federation officer and Klingon warrior. Disgraced and stripped of all title, lands and ships. (The Sons of Mogh (DS9))
  • Dukat - Stripped of command and bumped down to captain of an ore freighter. (Return to Grace (DS9))
  • Jadzia Dax - Risked exile from Trill society by violating reunification taboo. (Rejoined (DS9))
  • Quark - Ejected from Ferengi Commerece Association for acts of philanthropy. (Body Parts (DS9))
  • Odo - Shape-shifting alien stranded among "solids", and looking for his people. When he finds them, he discovers that their morals are abhorrent to him, and finds himself fighting against them.
  • Julian Bashir - Product of illegal genetic engineering. Nearly ejected from Starfleet medical. (Doctor Bashir, I Presume (DS9))

While in TNG Worf served as a token representative of the Klingon race, his role on DS9 is very different. As war brews between the Klingon Empire and the federation at the beginning of Season 4, Worf alone becomes the one to take a principled stand against his own people. Even Sisko is forced to take sides when the interests of the Federation run in conflict to the Prophets, with whom he has developed a relationship.

I think the point here is the importance of individuality and the strength to resist the forces of groupthink and the herd mentality, which is interesting to see coming from such a militaristically oriented show.

Pint: You missed a couple - O'Brien's posting to DS9 alienates him from his wife and child. Sisko is distanced from the memory of his dead wife. Quark is also physically distanced from the profit that defines his race. Kira's role as politician is at odds with her militant nature and the spiritual centering of her home planet.