First, I must say, we DO have technology. That makes us superior. I just wanted to point out that logical fallacy first.

Anyhow, what is it about an animal that gives it any more right to live than a plant? Sentience? Plants may not have a nervous system, or a brain, but they do respond to external stimuli. Some of the smaller groups of animals we eat lack brains, too, I'm sure (though I can't think of one at the moment), and even those that have brains have poor intelligence (unless you're eating dolphins or monkeys or something).

What else separates the two? Locomotion? If anything, that means that we should eat animals and not plants. Animals can get away. They have their fighting chance. Plants are stuck there. What are they gonna do, photosynthesize you to death!? Oh no, they're brandishing their nodes!

We need to obtain organic nutrients to survive. Plants and animals are both lower life forms than humans, because we know how to form communities, how to develop technology, and how to exhibit altruism. We are superior- otherwise we'd be the ones getting eaten. Something may need to be done about the environment, but you think the solution to stopping deforestation is through vegetarianism!? Something about that logic seems a tiny bit flawed.

Maybe it's just me, though. I have to say, that rare cow meat sure does look appetizing.