From page six of my United States passport:

  1. Make sure you have a valid passport, and visas, if required. In case of an emergency, a relative in the U.S. should have a passport also.

  2. Call the State Department's Citizens Emergency Center, at (202) 647-5225 for information on the areas to be visited. Stay aware of events in the country you are visiting.

  3. Make two photocopies of your passport identification page. Leave one copy at home. Carry the other one with you in a separate place from your passport. This will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen.

  4. Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home, so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency.

  5. When traveling in disturbed or remote areas, or if residing abroad, register and keep in touch with the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

  6. Do not leave luggage unattended in public areas or accept packages from strangers.

  7. Avoid conspicuous clothing and expensive jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money or unnecessary credit cards.

  8. In order to avoid violating local laws, deal only with authorized agents when exchanging money or purchasing souvenirs.

  9. Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries to which you are traveling. While in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws.

  10. Contact the nearest U.S. consul if you get into trouble.

These tips are exactly as written in my passport, grammar errors included (the first tip made me cringe). Good tips, but they should include the US dialing code for the phone number and the Department of State's website for information concerning traveling to specific countries. A link to the nearest place you can get Guinness on tap would also be welcome.