Shoplifted

The shoplifter is back again. It takes a few minutes of waving at Jimmy, lost in some daydream as he's stacking some soon-expiring tins of Spam on one of the endcaps, before I get his attention and jerk my head towards aisle one. 

Jimmy holds on to one of the tins like it's a grenade and slinks down the middle aisle, peering over the scant selection of breakfast cereals until he aligns himself across from the old lady with a bent spine. She's sliding a loaf of Wonder Bread into a threadbare shopping bag sewn from old flour sacks. 

The Spam arcs over the shelves and Cheerios, barely missing the liver-spotted hands of the old woman as it lands in her bag. She starts to waddle in a circle and Jimmy ducks down.

The shoplifter totters off to the coolers and gets out a quart of milk, placing it in her bag. She reaches in to get another quart and stops when she realizes there is already one in the bag. Nodding to herself, she returns the second carton and heads back towards me and the register. I spy Jimmy's arm as he drops some more canned goods in as she walks by him.

She doesn't stop at my station. Muttering to herself, she waddles past and pushes on the old screen door with enough holes to be more of an annoyance to the ever-present bottleflies and exits the grocery store.

Jimmy appears next to me with a handful of change. I open my purse and between us we put three dollars and seventeen cents in the till. Without a word Jimmy goes back to stocking the shelves and I wipe down the conveyer belt with a damp rag.