This recipe is handy if you're already going to be cooking something in the oven, but if not this still makes a tasty and worthwhile dish.

What You Need:

What You Do:

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 400°F.
  2. Go through the asparagus and make groups of four, trying to make the overall thickness of the bundles even.
  3. Chop the onion and bell pepper into large chunks.
  4. Wrap the bacon over each group of four. Try to spiral them so they overlap and are not like a greasy engagement ring on Groot's finger.
  5. In a medium skillet, add a splash of olive oil and cook five bundles at a time on medium heat until the bacon is crispy. Watch the direction the bacon is wrapped so you don't unravel as you rotate them.
  6. Move all of the bundles and the onion/bell pepper chunks to a cookie sheet with a rim. 
  7. Combine the olive oil, paprika, and black pepper in a small bowl and stir it up.
  8. Brush the concoction over the exposed portions of the asparagus, plus the onion and bell pepper chunks.
  9. Roast in the oven for around seven minutes until the asparagus is tender and the bacon is completely cooked.

These are an excellent side dish for higher-end dinners like a crown roast or prime rib. I was asked whether to use green or white asparagus, so make it green. I've never encountered the white variety. I'm making it for Thanksgiving this year. Enjoy! 

FeXII