The creation of the late J.A. Collins, nicknamed "Uncle Chubby", my grandmother's brother and the acknowledged barbecue genius of our family. Though Uncle Chubby was from Georgia, this sauce has more of a bite to it than most Georgia barbecue. Great on ribs, chicken, and even Portobello mushrooms.

NOTE: we put this on some kosher chicken one time and the result was almost too salty to eat. If this is your intention, you may want to reduce the amount of salt in the sauce.

Ingredients:
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne (red) pepper
3 tsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. salt
2 tbsp. celery seed
1 stick butter or margarine

Put all ingredients except the butter/margarine in a saucepan and cook over high heat until it starts to boil. Turn down the heat and let it simmer for about ten minutes. Turn the heat to low, add the butter/margarine, and cook on low until the butter melts.

Remove the saucepan from the heat and let the sauce cool for a half hour. Set a small amount aside for basting purposes later. Put the meat for the barbecue in a glass dish or a plastic bag and pour the rest of the sauce over it. Place the meat in the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour before grilling. (The longest I've seen meat marinate like this is overnight.)

Once everything is on the grill and cooking, use a brush to baste the ribs/chicken/whatever with the remainder of the sauce, that part you set aside before. Continue basting and turning every ten minutes until they're done. The results are best served with corn on the cob, ranch beans, cole slaw, and some white bread to cleanse the palate.

See also Barbecued ribs!