There's a little shame in being poor; but there's a truckload of shame in begging.

There's a bit of shame in gluttony; sobbing over your ice cream is fucking pitiful.

There's some shame in having your life suck; crying about suicide will make everyone who knows you remember you as the world's biggest pussy.

There's a touch of shame to be had from your annoyance, impatience, selfishness or whatever else plagues ya. But when you blame the world for it, you look about as good as Peter denouncing Jesus. Whatever it is, the world didn't do it to you. Your parents didn't do it to you. Neither did Uncle Sam, the water company or the person who brought it up. Your shame, insignificant as it should be, is so fascinating to you that you dote on it, magnify it, and end up making yourself look ten times more worthless than you are.

I don't really get the concept of shame. 'Cause I can't think of anything that is so shameful that the mere act of admitting it, taking the blows, can't utterly compensate. I mean, a poor, fat, ugly, or mean person seems completely vindicated to me by simply standing up, facing, and dealing with their problem. Even the murderer doesn't seem so shameful if he stands there in court and takes what's coming to him.

Then there's them who just can't bear to not think about themselves; who absolutely must be involved in and angry at themselves or they're just not happy. And thanks to their whining, everyone else quickly follows suit.

We all fuck up. We just don't all get off on it so much.