An LCD technology developed by Fujitsu in 1997 derived a predecessor technology, their "VA," or (Mono-Domain) Vertical Alignment released the year before. Multi-Domain Vertical Alignment (MVA) is currently one of the best LCD technologies on the market today. Among its benefits are a high contrast ratio, fast response time, and a 170° viewing angle.

The 170° viewing angle, this is where the "multi-domain" part of the name comes into play. In a standard TFT LCD, the liquid crystal will rotate, and appear the correct color when viewed directly, however, at other angles the color becomes too bright or too dim because the crystal is being viewed at different points, creating thie color distortion. MVA helps to correct this because the subpixels are now individually seperated into several "zones." The polarization filters also have become pointed, creating "ridges" which causes the crystals to not be aligned in the same direction. The subpixels are then further divided into "subregions" where they move independently of other liquid crystal (LC) molecules. Combining groups of LC molecules and orienting them in opposite directions, the brightness of the cells can appear to be uniform over a large range of viewing angles.

Over the past few years, Fujitsu has continually improved the MVA's contrast ratio and viewing angle, currently on the market is "Premium MVA" released in 2001 and licensed to a wide variety of companies.

Specifications

  • Contrast Ratio: 500:1
  • Viewing Angle: 170°
  • Response Rate: 25 milliseconds

  • Sources
    Kenji Okamotoi and Yoshio Koike. Super High Quality MVA-TFT Liquid Crystal Displays. June 4, 1999. <http://magazine.fujitsu.com/us/vol35-2/paper11.pdf>
    Tom's Hardware Guide. Comparison of 15" LCD Monitors - Part I. January 14, 2002. <http://www17.tomshardware.com/display/20020114/lcd-08.html>
    Fujitsu. Concept of Fujitsu VA Technology. 2002. <http://www.fme.fujitsu.com/products/displays/lcdvatech.html>