By sentence of the angels, by the decree of the saints, we anathematise, cut off, curse, and execrate Baruch Spinoza, in the presence of these sacred books with the six hundred and thirteen precepts which are written therein, with the anathema wherewith Joshua anathematised Jericho; with the cursing wherewith Elisha cursed the children; and with all the cursings which are written in the book of the law; cursed be he by day, and cursed by night; cursed when he lieth down; cursed when he riseth up; cursed when he goeth out, and cursed when he goeth in; The Lord shall not pardon him, the wrath and the fury of the Lord shall henceforth be kindled against this man, and shall lay upon him all the curses written in the Book of the Law. The Lord shall destroy his name under the sun, and cut him off for his undoing from all the tribes of Israel, with all the curses of the firmament which are written in the Law.

* * *

And we warn you that none may speak with him by word of mouth nor by writing, nor show any favor unto him, nor be under one roof with him, nor come within four cubits of him, nor read any paper composed by him.

- the Jews of the Portugese synagogue at Amsterdam, 1666 as reported on page 39 of C. Stuart Gager's "The Relation Between Science and Theology; How to Think About it" (London: Open Court, 1925).

Cletus the Foetus says: Before the anathematization was pronounced, his rabbis offered him the opportunity to repent. He replied that, in order to express his gratitude to them for having taught him the Hebrew language, he was fully capable of pronouncing the Anathema upon himself.