These artists are called blacksmiths because (usually) the iron that they work with is black.

There are many varied weapons, works of art and common household items that any good blacksmith is able to make with ease. Swords, caltrops, spoons, forks, doorknobs and handrails are just a few of them.

A blacksmith's tools often include (but there are many more) an anvil, a forge, chisels (cold and hot), moulds, pliers/tongs, hammers, sledges, etc. Some metal work can be done with "cold" metal, but usually the metal has to be hot (1000 to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit) for any real bending/welding/shaping to be accomplished easily.

The fuel in a blacksmith's forge varies widely. Charcoal can be made by making a large mound of trees/branches, putting a 6 to 10 inch layer of dirt over it all and building a small fire in the center of the mound. The mound is left alone (except to stop runaway fires atop the mound) for up to a week; then charcoal is ready. Many forges are accompanied by a bellows, which provides air to the fire and makes it hotter than it otherwise would be. Rocks are often (purposely) present in the fire in order to hold and reflect heat.

The blacksmith art is not entirely lost, though there are few enough to be found in this day and age. Propane seems to be the fuel of choice, even though it burns at a lower temperature than many other fuels. An anvil can still be purchased, or old railroad rails will work as well. Hammers, tongs, fans and chisels still abound. The art can be picked up with ease, though many of the tricks of tempering metal could be lost without recovery if all blacksmiths disappear.