My infamous aunt came over for dinner, with my parents tonight. The special occasion arose as it was the first time I had entertained in our new place.

I cooked Chicken Stanley this time, mostly in preparation for an assessment I have on Monday for TAFE. I also had to practice chateau potatoes and rice pilaf, so I used them as sides. In class, we served this with sautéed potatoes and butter green beans. Either works very well.

The Chicken Stanley is used as an example of the method of cookery: sautéing. It's quite a simple, quick and tasty recipe. It will serve about four people.

The recipe requires cutting up a chicken. I haven't found a node on that yet - I will node it when I have the confidence to do so. In the meantime, if you do not feel confident cutting a chicken into sauté pieces, you'll need about 900 grams of chicken pieces (wings, legs, thighs and/or breast will all work).

Ingredients

Method

Heat the butter in a large frying pan. Toss the chicken pieces in the hot pan. Make a well using the chicken pieces as a wall, once they are light brown in colour.
Slice the onion roughly. Add the onion to the middle of the pan, and sauté until softened.
Stir the chicken and onion together. Put a lid on the pan, and allow the chicken to cook through for about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and onions. (Make sure the cooked chicken is placed into a clean container to avoid cross-contamination from anything that has touched the raw chicken.)
Remove the stalks from the mushrooms. Lightly sauté the mushrooms in the pan. Remove when softened.
Deglaze the pan with the chicken stock. Add the curry powder. On a low heat, add the cream and stir well. Add the chicken and mushrooms, covering all the chicken in the sauce.
Simmer on a low heat for no more than 10 minutes. Serve.