Apparently Mr. Nimoy is quite the renaissance man. Not only is he an actor, director, musician (*snicker*), and guest-star extrodinaire, he is also a poet.

While at my local used bookstore today I came across this little gem titled You and I. At first my mind recoiled and refused to believe that the name on the binding read "Leonard Nimoy," but there it was plain as day. I picked it up, thought about it for a while, and eventually bought it. The front cover features a couple holding hands in a desert and is graced with the words "A fresh and powerful love story, the national bestseller."

Bestseller?

The book is a collection of poetry broken into six sections: "In the Beginning", "In Search", "In Discovery", "Credo", "All Men are Mortal", and "To Be." The poetry is pretty dismal:

In my heart
Is the seed of a tree
Which will be me

Nourished by understanding
Warmed by friends
Fed by loved ones
Matured by wisdom
Tempered by tears

This poem opens the book. Sprinkled throughout are a bunch of halfway-decent black and white photos of trees, dilapidated houses, women, etc..

The Miami Herald is quoted on the back of the paperback: "A very personal love story." The back cover blurb reads:

"The intensity, conviction, and humanitarianism that have made Leonard Nimoy a distinguished actor have been transferred into a moving and arresting story told in poetry and photographs.

"YOU AND I is a fine and sensitive love story that builds with enormous power.

"Whoever reads YOU AND I will wish to share its drama with others, and will never forget Leonard Nimoy's vigorous expressions of love unfolding from out of a lifetime of thought and feeling."

I am still baffled by this little book I now hold in my hands. I suppose after The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins, love poetry must have seemed like a logical step.

Most definitely worth the dollar I spent on it.