Fried Trout in Mustard and Sour Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 4 fresh trout, 1/2 pound each
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pepper
  • 6 tablespoons butter
  • 3 cups fresh mustard leaves
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 2 tablespoons soft butter
  • 1 tablespoon crushed mustard seeds

Wash and clean the fish under running water, pat them dry inside and out with paper towels and sprinkle a little salt inside each fish. Spread the flour on a piece of wax paper and sprinkle the salt and pepper evenly over the flour. Roll the fish in the flour to coat it. Shake off any excess.

In a heavy 12-inch skillet melt the butter over high heat. When it gives off a nutty odor, lower the heat a little and fry the trout. The fish should not have more than 3 minutes on each side. Two fish is enough to take care of at a time. When the fish are golden brown and flaky, remove from the skillet with tongs, trying not to break the golden skin. When all the trout have been browned, keep them warm in a 200 degree (F) oven.

Place the mustard leaves and the mustard seeds into the fat in which you fried the fish and cook for 8 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Pour off the fat from the skillet and replace with soft butter. Stir over low heat, scraping up the brown pan drippings with a spoon. Add the sour cream and continue to stir for 3 minutes, then add the mustard leaves. Mix well so all the leaves are coated on all sides.

Remove the fish from the oven. Place them on a serving plater and pour the sauce around the fish. Serve immediately

Serves Six

Back to Black Mustard
Back to The Edible Wild