Let me clear something up here...Bin Laden, more than likely, according to many sources (my own included) never worked directly with, or even met with , any American officials. Though the CIA did funnel millions of dollars and weapons into the Afghan fighters campaign against the Russians, this is not the whole story.

The war against the Russians in Afghan. was in the interests of not only the United States at the time, but also the Saudi's and Pakistani's. Not that I am defending their interests specifically, but a countries foreign policy is supposed to reflect its goals, and at that time, it was appropriate to each country to be acting the way they did.

Pakistan's intelligence service, the ISI, was the point group for working with the fighters. They are the ones who not only funneled American and Saudi money into the fight; they are also the ones who funneled men, weaponry, provided training and medical care, refuge, intelligence, and all around political backing. In fact, it was the ISI who did the majority of the leg work for the fighters, not the CIA. The Saudi's not only sent globs of money their way, but also arranged for and sent thousands of men into Pakistan, where the ISI got them across the border to join the fighters.

People want to be critical of the CIA and the US government for providing the support that it did. But at the time, it fit American foreign policy quite well. It was us versus the Soviets, and they had invaded another country that was a link to a very vital part of the world (Middle East). The US could not stand idly by and let the Russians have carte blanche in Afghanistan; nor could we send in American troops, for that would have been a declaration of war. Therefore, this method of support was the only thing that the US could have done without risking war.

If people want to be critical of US policy now and in the past, question our ties with Saudi Arabia. Here is a country that not only provided such support then, it still does now! Material and ideological support, though covert, is still supplied by the Saudi monarchy to terror groups worldwide. Why? Because it fits with their foreign policy goals.

Here is a news flash ladies and gentleman...the Middle East and southwest Asia as a whole is a VERY complicated place. Those who think a book or two will teach them what they need to know to understand it are sorely mistaken. Alliances and loyalties change every day...Western values are of no consequence....it is a radically different place then we could ever imagine. Until America understands that, and attempts to see past its own arrogance, we will lose this war on terrorism...slowly but surely.