When I started university, I began to take naps. It was probably because I stayed up till all hours of the night doing homework at the last minute, a fact my grandmother chose to ignore.

At the time, I was living with my granparents (they live about 30 minutes away from the university by foot). Hypothyroidism runs in my family. My grandmother jumped to the conclusion that because I took naps, I must have hypothyroidism. C'mon! Just because my grandmother, two aunts, my mother, and a cousin have it doesn't necessarily mean I do! (Well, I know, that looks bad... But I'm still convinced that I don't have it).

Anyways, I finally gave in to my entire family and went to get a blood test. What a miserable experience! The nurse was awful... I couldn't move my arm when I got out, it hurt so much. I don't think she even bothered to look for a vein, she just jammed the needle in a wiggled it around till I started to bleed. (Can you see why I'm reluctant to be re-tested?) Good thing my SO drove me other there -- I never could have driven back by myself.

In any case, the tests turned out "normal." To the doctors, I didn't have hypothyroidism, and that was fine with me. I've learned to control my sleepiness by regulating my sleep patterns (and caffeine!). The other problems (dry skin, slow metabolism) are annoying sometimes, but I can live with it. There are much worse diseases you could have.