The Gewehr 98, or G98, was the premiere rifle for the German army during World War I.

The G98 was the last major military design during the 1800s, and was a successful composite of most of the reliable innovations and inventions of the previous fifty years. This has probably been the best bolt action in history and the design is still the basis for many modern bolt action rifles.

The G98 is chambered in 7.92 x 57mm (8mm Mauser) and was manufactured on contract for the German army during World War I. G98 also saw action during early parts of World War II, but was soon superseded by the smaller and lighter Karabiner 98.

When the German forces tried to field a 20 round magazine for the renowned Gewehr 98. It failed for a multitude of reasons including the force required closing the bolt over a fully loaded magazine. And it was not exactly detachable either. Other attempts led to permanent box magazines of medium volume and tubular magazines permanently affixed to the rifle, but a true detachable magazine for a bolt action rifle, in the modern sense, did not come about until the late 1940s.

Specs:
Caliber: 7.92 x 57mm.
Clip: 5 rounds.
Action: Bolt Action.


Back to German Infantry Weapons