The Faustpatrone (FPr) (fist-cartridge) was an anti-tank weapon used by the German Wehrmacht during World War II.

The FPr entered development in 1942 under the supervision of Hugo Schneider AG (HASAG) in Leipzig.
Although later superseded by more efficient weapons, it remained in production during the entire war. Also known as the Faustpatrone 30 - klein or Faustpatrone 1.

The FPr was built on a design of a recoilless cannon and is a single-use rocket-propelled grenade.
The design was a tube, in which warhead was inserted toghether with black powder propellant.
Fitted to the warhead was a wooden shaft with folded stabilizing fins made of 0.25mm thick spring metal. These bent blades straightened into position by themselves as soon as they left the launch tube.

The FPr suffered from lack of good aiming devices and the tendency to bounce off armored targets when not hit at a straight angle. This was attempted to be countered by the deveopment of the Panzerfaust 30.

Specs:
Length: 985mm
Diameter: 33mm
Weight: 3200gr
Projectile Length: 360mm
Projectile Diameter: 100mm
Load: 400gr shaped charge 50-50 mix of TNT and Tri-Hexogene.
Armor Penetration @ 90 degrees: 140mm.
Propellant Load: 54g of Black Powder.
Effective Range: 30 meters.


Back to German Infantry Weapons.