The Policy Problem

The problem that the network neutrality policy wants to address is the concern about the free and open internet and how consumers are able to access it and how telecom companies can or cannot regulate it. The internet was born on and has lived on being free and open throughout its existence and net neutrality would ensure just that. Net neutrality assures that consumers are able to access internet content, equipment, applications, or service without any obstruction from network providers. Network neutrality also makes sure that internet service providers cannot play favorites to applications and content online, ensuring all internet technologies and web sites have an equal advantage. Many organizations would like the government to regulate the internet with net neutrality. Other organizations think network providers should be allowed to act as gate keepers and reward certain kinds of data with higher quality of service. To solve this problem the FCC proposed 4 openness principles in 2008: (1) consumers are entitled to access the lawful Internet content of their choice (2) consumers are entitled to run applications and use services of their choice, subject to the needs of law enforcement (3) consumers are entitled to connect their choice of legal devices that do not harm the network and (4) consumers are entitled to competition among network providers, application and service providers, and content providers. Then in 2009 the FCC added 2 more principles: (5) subject to reasonable network management, a provider of broadband Internet access service must treat lawful content, applications, and services in a nondiscriminatory manner and (6) subject to reasonable network management, a provider of broadband Internet access service must disclose such information concerning network management and other practices as is reasonably required for users and content, application, and service providers to enjoy the protections specified in this part. These principles were then adopted by a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking issued by the FCC for formal rules establishing nondiscrimination and transparency requirements.

Stakeholder Positions

There have been many groups, businesses and organizations that have testified and announced to the public their view of the network neutrality issue. Save the Internet Coalition has a strong belief in government mandated net neutrality rules because they think these rules will (1) prevent internet service providers from discriminating between different kinds of content and applications online and (2) will allow a level playing field for all web sites and Internet technologies (Save The Internet Coalition, 2009). Save the Internet Coalition believes that without government regulation, net neutrality will be lost. On the other hand the American Legislative Exchange Council has a strong belief that no government regulation of the Internet needs to take place because they support (1) a free and open Internet is best guaranteed by marketplace competition and (2) the suggested FCC net neutrality regulations are unconstitutional (Gardner, 2009). The American Legislative Exchange Council thinks that the Internet has prospered thus far in an open and competitive market and needs no more regulating.

Recommendations To The FCC

From what I understand about the net neutrality issue, I think the FCC should adopt the six principles. The advantages of adopting the six principles would be nondiscrimination between internet content and applications, an even opportunity for all ISP’s, free and open internet, more competition, less censorship, and interests of the public good will come before ISP’s. The disadvantages of adopting the six principles could be too much government interference, lead to even more regulations that may be unnecessary, or economic decline of telecom industry.

References

Gardner, David. "Net Neutrality Opposed By State Legislators." Information Week 23 Sep. 2009. Web. 17 Feb 2010. http://www.informationweek.com/news/government/policy/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=220100907. Save The Internet Coalition, . "Frequently Asked Questions." Save The Internet. Free Press, Web. 17 Feb 2010. http://www.savetheinternet.com/faq.