Tunnel Rat was one of the collection of new G.I. Joe characters premiered in the big 1987 G.I. Joe movie (the animated one where it turned out that Cobra Commander was from some secret underground civilization).

The group of characters, called the "Rawhides" in the film (probably because they were raw) seems like something of an effort to make a microcosm of weird diversity. Not simply ethnic diversity, but in character weirdness. In addition to Tunnel Rat, there's a hot ninja girl codenamed Jinx, who for some reason fights best when blindfolded; a basketball player codenamed Big Lob, who inexplicably speaks almost exclusively in third-person sports patter; literally a cop codenamed Law with a dog named Order (I'm going to go ahead and presume that the dog doesn't have a "real" civilian identity); and Lieutenant Falcon, who (if you know the regular series characters) is the newly-introduced half-brother of longtime Joe's mainstay Duke. Falcon is voiced by the legendary Don Johnson. Tunnel Rat had no such luck, coming from some little-known actor.

Obviously, Tunnel Rat's thing is that he's the best there is with tunnels or some shit like that. During training, he navigates the deadly obstacle course set up by the trainer by finding a tunnel that just happened to run from near the beginning of the course to just after the end. What skill!! Naturally, later on in the film it turns out that the way to enter the Cobra base and save the world and all that is -- you're not going to believe this -- discovering a tunnel leading into the base!!

You'll be forgiven if this is the first you've ever heard of this character, and if you never think about him again after this.