On the Internet, naturally, "I'll pray for you" may take on an entirely different context (as does everything else, it often seems). In one of the most common Internet pastimes, theological debates, partisans of one side especially are apt to make a closing arguments of this phrase as a sort of a backhanded word-slap. It seems intended to convey an assurance that the opposing party to the discussion, not being of the same theological persuasion is the purported prayer-maker, is doomed to a terrible outcome for it. It suggests, "because you are not of my especial faith, and are not convinced by my argument to change that fact, you are in a bad spot and are going to need praying for."

But perhaps the most striking feature of this tendency is the brazenness of its insincerity. It often comes at the culmination of exchanges already rife with insult and degradation and accusation and calumny (on both sides, and whether between theists and atheists, or different stripes of theist, or some other odd combination altogether), and nobody really believes that the claimant is actually going to do any praying for the benefit of their sparring partner of the moment. In especially venomous exchanges, it is quite easier to imagine that any prayers to be uttered will be geared in the opposite direction. As a signature afterthought, rather than serving as an offer of comfort, it simply ends up being another insult tossed onto the pyre.



IRON NODER: TOKYO DRIFT