Everclear is the most popular brand of grain alcohol sold in the United States. It is sold in two different concentrations, 190 (95% ethanol) proof, and 153 (76.5% ethanol) proof. Since 1980, it has been distilled and distributed by the David Sherman Corporation. Thanks to mirv for confirming that they distill it.

Grain alcohol is simply booze made from various types of grains, that has been distilled and redistilled until it is essentially just alcohol and water. As a result it is clear, and has no taste or odor other than that of pure ethanol.

Everclear seems to be most often used to make alcoholic Jell-O. It is also often mixed with Kool-Aid, fruit juice, and is used to soak fruit in, allowing the alcohol to permeate the fruit. Yummy! Apparently it should not be used with anything that contains cream, as it will curdle it.

Everclear is quite likely to be difficult to find. Most retail liquor stores won’t have it out on the floor. If they even carry it, you will probably have to ask them to grab it from the back or something. And then there is the minor factor that a lot of states have regulations barring the sale of such high-proof boozes.

It is illegal to sell Everclear in the following states:

You can find Everclear in the following states, however you might be able to only purchase the 153 proof version of the drink. In all other states I don’t have enough information about the availability. It doesn't seem to be widely distributed outside the United States, but I've heard of it being available in some places in Canada.

If you are going to be drinking Everclear, I really really suggest not drinking it straight. That concentration of alcohol can burn your throat, dissolving the mucous membrane. You really don’t want to have a throat that’s bleeding. Not to mention the fact that it's quite flammable.

mirv drank it straight once. He likened it to getting hit in the face with a 2x4, in that your face goes numb and you start drooling like mad. Sounds like a typical date of mine.

Of course, there is also the potency factor. Dear god, don’t drink this in the same quantities as you would other booze. I mean, it has 2.4 times as much ethanol per liter as vodka. Treat it carefully dear noders, I don’t want any of you dying of alcohol poisoning.

rootbeer277 says re Everclear: I checked with a liquor store here in Mississippi. As far as the woman who answered the phone knows, there is no such thing as 153 proof everclear. I don't know what that implies here. However they do stock the 190 proof version.

BookReader says re Everclear: On a side note, I have a friend who uses Everclear to remove varnish from his cello. This is the prime reason I don’t drink the stuff.

Most of my information was taken from the Everclear FAQ, written by someone identified only as AjD, ajd@itl.itd.umich.edu