A Dutch composer, of whom very little, not even reliable dates of birth and death, is known. There are only a few extant works, a "choral concerto" in E minor and "musique funebres", that are attributed to him. The choral concerto (attributed the catalog or printer number SBI 152) has been dated at 1798 and a revision in 1802. The holograph manuscripts of these pieces are held by a private collection in France, which has refused all requests by academics to study them. However, excerpts from his work are featured in two films, both of which were directed by Krzysztof Kieslowski and scored by Zbigniew Preisner.

In the film The Double Life of Veronique, the character Weronika auditions for and sings the soprano solo of the E minor concerto in a performance that does not come to a satisfactory ending.

A theme from the Musique funebres is quoted in the Concerto for the Unification of Europe that Patrice is working on (and that his wife Julie completes) in the film Three Colors: Blue.


Zbigniew Preisner has admitted that Van den Budenmayer is a pseudonym he and Krzysztof Kieslowski invented "because we both loved the Netherlands. Encyclopaedias and dictionaries later asked for biographical information, at which point we realized that he continues to live." (from an interview with Vincent Remy in Telerama in 1993).