One of the housemates drove too close to Grocery Outlet the other day and returned with a 3lb sack of tater tots.
While I might have been satisfied by simply baking the tater tots and dipping them in ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, I recalled this recipe that my ex-girlfriend had once threatened to make. It was a childhood favorite of hers, being one of the few things in the kitchen her mother allowed her to make.
Tater Tot Tempter
- half a pound of mushrooms, chopped
- a large onion, chopped finely
- one package of LightLife ground beef substitute
- about a pound of tater tots
- 3-4 Tbs Worchestershire sauce
- Saute the mushrooms and onion until the onions are almost done.
- Throw in the fake meat and break it up.
- Add some black pepper, sage, oregano, or not.
- As the onions finish cooking, douse with the Worchestershire sauce.
- Spread evenly across the bottom of a 9x13 cassarole dish.
- Top with tater tots.
- Bake at 400 until tatertots are brown and crispy, about 35-45 minutes.
Serves 4-5 people with ketchup
or tonkatsu sauce