It had been the base for a glass security case, this big pink upside-down T-shaped pedestal that surrounded the single steel support in the middle of the retail space. The decision, however, was that it had to go.
“Pink,” my housemate, who will soon open a game store, explained, “is anathema to your average wargamer.”
I dual-wielded an old rusty hatchet and a brand spanking new waffle-faced hammer and proceeded to fillet the pink formica from the monstrosity. At one point I made a critical hit and set the hatchet blade clear into the fiberboard itself! After I finished, the housemate, wielding a drill, went after the screws that seemed to hold this nude, but not pink box together. Most of them were stripped screw|stripped]. More application of the hatchet and hammer was required. Eventually we pulled these double-L-shaped boxes off the floor, what we found there was even more scary: this fixture had been constructed before the original carpet had been laid, there were six pieces of wood nailed into the concrete floor.
When you run out of ideas, take a trip to the hardware store, my dad used to say just about every Saturday morning. And we also needed to pick out paint chips. At the hardware store, it takes like a half hour to get anyone’s attention.
”What kind of tool do I need to pull nails out of concrete?” inquires the housemate.
”Wow, how did you set those ‘cause I’ve got to do that,” some random homeowner who obviously didn’t hear the question.
We buy a gorilla bar, and go back to tearing that shit out, along with some small bits from the concrete floor. There’s nothing quite like the thrill one gets from the power of simple machines.