An explanation for the phenomenon of subjective temporal perception.

The idea rests on the notion of the fractal. In the same way that, say, Koch's Curve takes on infinite length while occupying finite space -- and thus the line "occupies space," taking on a non-integral, Hausdorff dimension -- so too can a single moment seemingly stretch laterally into a dimension of time that isn't, exactly.

The best way to illustrate this is with a geometrical fractal. Suppose you walk along the edge of Koch's Curve. Now, obviously, if your steps were infinitesimal, you wouldn't get much of anywhere. But since you are a finite being, your steps have a discrete length, and with time, you will have traversed the entire curve. As you take each of these steps, though, you will be skipping over an infinite length of the curve, while at the same time travelling along a departure from the triangle which generated the curve to begin with. How much of a departure you take from that original triangle -- that is, how long your stride is -- is the essence of fractal time.

When time seems to pass slowly, your stride is short and time is complex; when time seems to pass quickly, your stride is long and time is less complex.

When you take a nap and awaken two hours later, but it seems, days, months, years later, your stride has been small. When you are having the time of your life at a cast party some odd weekend and "time flies" -- you are taking leaps and bounds, temporally.

There seems to be some evidence that time itself has a texture that depends on your physical location. Dentists' offices seem notorious places of variable temporal perception, no matter what your stride; it could be that, in such places, time bursts forth into complexity. It could be suggested that time is, in a way, two-dimensional, with a third dimension describing our actual perception of its passing, akin to the surface of a cloud (another fractal), rough and bubbly in some places, smooth and placid in others.