On the 16th of May, 2002, Australia's last Anzac - Alec Campbell - passed away, at the age of 103.

He had lied about his age, so he could join the war effort. At the age of 16, was carrying water from the beaches of Gallipoli, to the trenches on the front line. After two months, he was struck down with illness, brought on by the terrible conditions soldiers endured at the time.

Alec Campbell's death is not simply about the death of a single man. As the last living man to have set foot upon the foreign shores, where so many men would lose their lives, Alec Campbell was the last living link to a revered chapter in Australia's history. The Anzac story spawned the most important day on the Australian calendar - Anzac Day captures a spirit, and kindles emotions, like no other day. For many years, the number of Gallipoli veterans has been dwindling. Next year will be the first time that no original Anzacs will mark the day.

In recognition of Alec Campbell's passing, the nation will pause at 11am, Friday the 24th of May, 2002 at 11am - the day he is laid to rest. This minute's silence is far more than a mark of respect for a single man. On this day, the nation will reflect on all the Anzacs who have died, whether in the waves of Anzac Cove, or in the years since. Flags will fly at half-mast, and Australia will stop, to remember that while Alec Campbell may have been the last man surviving, the last man to truly know the horrors of the battles fought on those shores - the nation will never forget the sacrifice made. Nor will the Anzac's importance ever be diminished.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

The Ode - Taken from For The Fallen - Laurence Binyon