Hoover was an emo band from Washington DC in the early 1990s. Their first releases were a split 7" with Lincoln on Watermark Records and the Side Car Freddie 7". They also released a 7" and an LP on Dischord Records. The EP and LP were later compiled on CD as The Lurid Traversal of Route 7, which was also the title of the LP. They got back together in 1997 to record the final songs they had written before they broke up. These songs were released as a CDEP on Slowdime Records.

Hoover was C. Farrall, F. Erskine (who later went on to play in June of 44), J. McRedmond, and A. Dunham. McRedmond and Erskine later went on to form The Crownhate Ruin.

Most of their original output is currently available on The Lurid Traversal of Route 7 CD. Tracklist:

  1. Distant
  2. Pretender
  3. Electrolux
  4. Shut
  5. Route 7
  6. Regulator Watts
  7. Father
  8. Cable
  9. Letter
  10. Cuts, Like Drugs
  11. Return*
  12. Private*
  13. Dries*
* = Songs not on the original LP, rather, the ones that were originally on 7".

Hoover's sound is characterized by the sinister sounding basslines, which sort of creep along, building tension and giving the music a very evil sound at times. Also, the singers' vocals tend to work themselves up from a whisper to a scream on the longer songs, adding a sense of desperation and pleading to the composition.