Tony Blair's New Labour has made a career of being ever-so-slightly better than their main 'opposition,' the Conservative Party, from the point of view of the vaguely left wing types who make up most of its potential voters. Under Labour the privatisation program has slowed down a tiny bit; public spending was lower in the last parliament than it was in the one before, but not that much lower; schools and hospitals eventually had a little bit more money allocated to them than they had under the Tories; British foreign policy is no longer quite so steeped in ruthless military profiteering; and so on.

However, in the realm of Law And Order they have been falling over themselves to be even more right wing than the previous incumbents with a range of measures to horrify the civil libertarians among us. In spite of a massive shift in public opinion favour of more liberal drug laws they seem to have been trying very hard to avoid holding a rational debate on this issue, which apparently scares them rigid. However since David Blunkett replaced Jack Straw as Home Secretary several positive steps have been taken in this direction: Just a week after he came to the job, police in Lambeth, South London announced (apparently with government approval) that on an experimental basis they would no longer be wasting their time giving police cautions for possession of cannabis. A few months later David Blunkett told the House of Commons Home Affairs Select Committee on drug use that he would like to see cannabis downgraded from Class B to Class C, meaning that its possession would no longer be an arrestable offence.

Also on the plus side, their constitutional reforms in the direction of devolution are, on balance, probably a good thing, and in the long term may turn out to be of great importance.

Tony Blair himself has a habit of coming across as insufferably smug and insincere. Apparently he still has not realised that his success in opinion polls is due almost entirely to the depth and breadth of people's dislike for the Tories. Hence, rather than taking Labour's crushing defeat of the Tories (in the 1997 election) as a sign that people were sick of Tory policies, and as a mandate to do away with them, he took it as a sign that everyone loves him, and as a mandate to enforce Tory policies while grinning and pretending to be more-or-less left-wing.