I am surprised by the tangibility of Manchester’s city-feel, a palpable shift in the texture of existence as we step through the train station. It feels like I’d expect it to, sort of hard-edged and slouchingly alert.

Its looks come as more of a surprise, and I realise how little notion I had of what this city would look like: Full of pretty red-brick buildings like Victorian fire stations, as it turns out, with sweeping curves of glass and concrete radiating from the train station. There is an incongruity to everything, a glaring ‘That’ll Do’ attitude to the fitting together of architectures.

It strikes me that perhaps much of the difference between the feelings of different cities can be accounted for by which bits of which decades have got lodged, and continued to resonate there long after they’ve slipped from view in the rest of the world. I’m surprised by how much of the Eighties still seems to linger here; not the plasticky pop-and-leg-warmers Eighties people seem most nostalgic about, but the slightly grimy making-do-in-spite-of-the-Tories Eighties that I mostly remember living in. We gaze into a bookshop with a train-set running in the window, advertising the mini-shop upstairs which still sells Hornby model kits and parts. The set is decorated with cows in all sorts of unlikely locations, which makes me think of Kolkata, but the fact that many of the cows are parachuting makes it seem rather less like an Indian city scene.

Very pleasingly, free buses shuttle around the city centre, and we take one two stops down the road to get to the coach station. Next to us a very small South Asian boy with enormous eyes practises his smile on us enthusiastically. He hasn’t quite got the hang of it yet, but the message gets through.

As we locate our coach stop so we know where we’re going, the heavens open and by the time we jog to a nearby café it is torrential. It only gets harder as we munch on some deli-ish food and refuel on fresh juice, so that by the time we leave there is nothing we can do to keep our selves and our bags from being soaked through on the short run back to the overcrowded bus shelter.

-Arriving in Kolkata