The Undercut. King of haircuts.

This seemed to be at the height of it's popularity (at least in the UK, and according to Xenex in Australia too) around 1993-5, then dropped away quickly. The basic premise is simple. If your hair is longer than eye length (and preferably quite straight), it can be undercut. The longer it is, the more of a point there is to having it styled this way. Basically, the hair underneath the top most layer is shaved - usually to a number 1 or a number 2 grade shave.

Some of the species of undercut I have spotted :

  • The curtains undercut. Hard to spot, cos you have to ask someone to lift up their hair to see it. This may lead to a misunderstanding.
  • The undercut on a bob, quite common.
  • Grade 0.5 undercut under really long hair, tied up. This is the easiest to spot, forcing it's way into your attention. I used to have one of these, when I was about 17.
  • The curtains undercut, but with a twist : either only the sides are shaved, or just the back ! Honestly, though, what is the point ? I also used to have one of these.

To be honest, I'm kind of glad the whole undercut thing has subsided now. You still see people with them, but it's mostly within the rock/metal community, combined with a grade 0.5 shave. Believe me, though, there was a stage when everyone had one (even girls ! Wow !)

The best thing about having an undercut was being able to swing your head around really quickly, from side to side, and make your hair levitate to the sides like a helicopter.


Kids, it takes fucking ages for an undercut to grow out - think before you commit to this.