Yes you read it right leave it to the Hungarians to find anything off an animal to use!

I know everyone is dying to try this so I'll get straight to the recipe - my family loves this and it's a very popular dish in Hungary and various Hungarian events. I do not like this dish. But lots of people do so give it a try and let me know what ya think!

What you'll need:

  • 2 1/2 or 3 lbs. pigs feet, scrubbed clean and cut-in-half
  • 2 onions medium, peeled not sliced
  • 2 tsp. of good Hungarian paprika
  • 3 cloves of peeled whole garlic
  • 2 large carrots, sliced
  • 2 tsp. of salt
  • 1 Tbs. of mixed spices (you can purchase this, in the states it's called Mrs. Dash

Now what to do with the ingredients:

  • Put pigs feet in water and bring to a boil remove and discard water.
  • rinse off feet in cold water.
  • In the large pot of pigs feet add 2 quarts of cold water - add in onions, carrots, garlic, paprika, salt and mixed spice.
  • Cook until feet are tender (approx. 3.5 hours) - skim the grease off of the top or any other debris making sure the broth stays clear.
  • Into a corning ware dish (best type for this) put the pig feet - drain the broth so it's spice free (clear) and then pour the cleared broth ontop of the pig feet and refrigerate overnight - your result will be jellied broth around pigs feet, at least that's what you want!

This is best served with a meal as the salad along with a good fresh Italian bread and a dark beer.

Enjoy!


Some input that hit my inbox about the lovely recipe:


morven says re Jellied Pigs Feet: *grin* I think your family (and my Czech-descended grandmother-in-law) can keep the pigs' feet ...I agree!! smartalix says You may wish to add that pig's feet are a staple of poor farming people, and most cultures with roots of that nature have a way of preparing them. For example, black sharecroppers in the American south not only used the feet, they used the entrails (chitlins) as well. You can still find pickled pig's feet in just about every convenience store in NYC's black neighborhoods, for example.

I a good point/research point made - I've never been to NYC and here even in Cleveland area I haven't seen it 'popping up' but a good point, thank you!