AOBA History

Much how the history of the government of the United States began to make history so did AOBA. It all began with a meeting in 1988 following the importation of alpaca, which began in 1984.

The meeting consisted of 38 alpaca owners and breeders that meet at Shanty Creek Lodge in Bellaire, Michigan. At this meeting they organized the Alpaca Owners & Breeders Association shortly known as AOBA. By-laws were approved in October of 1988, and eventually filed in September of 1990. In June of 1991, the IRS the association a non-profit status.

Purpose of AOBA:

  • To promote public awareness and membership appreciation of the Alpaca's unique qualities.

  • To educate the membership on the care and breeding of the Alpaca.
  • To promote the growth of the Alpaca industry as a whole.
  • To foster the establishment of the breed outside of its native land by encouraging husbandry and breeding practices based upon, but not limited to, herd health, overall soundness, and alpaca fiber production and products.
  • Operations

    AOBA has a board of directors which has a committee structure below them. The board of directors are elected by the members of AOBA on basis of knowledge and 'rank' in the alpaca business.

    AOBA has put out several brochures offering information in: investment information, fiber, and what's an alpaca - general literature. AOBA also offers to members educational programs, support materials to members, and advertising opportunities on their webpages.

    AOBA committes have been successful in Health & Research that the committe works jointly with the Alpaca Research Foundation through the Alpaca Registry, Inc. AOBA also helps fund research facilities and vetinary schools to teach alpaca medicine. Such a facility is like the Camelid Vetinary facility at OSU.

    AOBA Highlights Timeline

    1. AOBA began work on an Alpaca Registry. It has since evolved into the Alpaca Registry, Inc. (ARI), which functions under the direction of a five-member elected Board of Directors. Actual registry services are provided by the ILR office which serves as the ARI's contract agent
    2. first issue of the quarterly magazine "Alpacas® Magazine" was printed. All 3000+ members receive this magazine. (Non-members may subscribe by contacting the (AOBA) office)
    3. first Alpaca show rules were developed with the cooperation of the American Llama Show Association (ALSA), which became the Alpaca Llama Show Association (ALSA)
    4. Estes Park, Colorado became the home of the first business office of AOBA to administer the activities of the association.
    5. To expand alpaca awareness to a larger audience, AOBA began advertising on the TV with the cute alpaca ads that everyone sees which is one about once a day
    6. AOBA established a 'fiber initiative' to integrate the promotion of fiber products into the AOBA national marketing program. Hence the first ever Winter National Conference (January 30 – February 1, 2003) was created.

    references, resources and information please see: www.alpacainfo.com