Weapon commonly employed by the Goa'uld, Jaffa, and Tok'ra in the sci-fi television series Stargate SG-1. (The weapon also made several appearances in the original Stargate movie.)

The staff weapon is an energy weapon shaped like a long (about 7 foot tall) staff. Like most Goa'uld items in SG-1, it appears vaguely Egyptian in origin. One blast from the weapon is usually lethal, as it packs a much bigger punch than a zatnicketel discharge.

Although other members of SG-1 sometimes manage to snatch a staff weapon or two to use against the Goa'uld, Teal'c is the only member who consistently carries one with him when traveling off-world.

See also these other fine examples of Stargate SG-1 weaponry: zatnicketel, tacluchnatagamutoron, intar


I should point out that the staff weapon's official name is indeed, "staff weapon." People often /msg me about this node, suggesting that I list the weapon's "real name" or something like that. Unfortunately, it appears that this is simply a rare example of the Stargate SG-1 writers having a tiny lack of creativity, because Teal'c and other Jaffa routinely call the tool a "staff weapon," and there appears to be no other name for it (even though other weapons, such as the zatnicketel, have cooler names). Of course, if you know of another name by which the staff weapon is known, please /msg me with that information, along with what episode you heard the reference, and I'll be happy amend the writeup.